Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Post #3

Okay, so I understood the first half of this book. After chapter 5 I got really lost, especially when the author started talking about theorists. The book jumps from LOGO’s and talking about computers to Piaget and Newton’s Laws of motion, then back to dynaturtles. I thought if I read Chapter 5 two or three times I would eventually understand or at least grasp part of it, but after reading it four times, I am still lost. So I moved on to Chapter 6 where the author talks about powerful ideas. And again the author starts talking about physics and Galileo, so as you can guess, I am lost. Then I begin to understand the chapter because the author goes back to math concepts, talking about finding the circumference of the earth by finding the radius. By the end of chapter 6 Seymour Papert continues with literacy of computers? I tried to continue reading, but Chapter 7 maintains his writing about Piaget and artificial intelligence. The author does explain in this chapter that the theme of the book has been the idea of exploiting a role by giving children access to computer cultures. And finally Chapter 8 discusses the different societies of the world and how they can be different of similar to school environments. Having different levels of learners and learning in different environments can affect learning. The images that these environments express can also have an impact on the people looking in, positive and negative impact.
Overall, I think this is an interesting book, I wish I would have had more time to read it and understand it. I believe the book became very complicated by the author and needed more clarification. Hopefully in the future I will pick this book back up and re-read it to better understand it

1 comment:

djab said...

Papert's The Children's Machine is a much easier read-and written several years later- so this one will be a foundation. Good effort!